Asian-Americans Are Being Attacked. Why Are Hate Crime Charges So Rare?
On a cold evening last month, a Chinese man was walking home near Manhattan’s Chinatown neighborhood when a stranger suddenly ran up behind him and plunged ( ) a knife into his back.
For many Asian-Americans, the stabbing ( ) was horrifying, but not surprising. It was widely seen as just the latest example of racially targeted violence against Asians during the pandemic.
But the perpetrator ( ), a 23-year-old man from Yemen, had not said a word to the victim before the attack, investigators ( ) said. Prosecutors ( ) determined they lacked enough evidence to prove a racist ( ) motive ( ). The attacker was charged with attempted murder, but not as a hate crime ( ).
The announcement outraged ( ) Asian-American leaders in New York City. Many of them protested ( ) outside the Manhattan district attorney’s office, demanding that the stabbing be prosecuted as a hate crime. They were tired of what they saw as racist assaults being overlooked ( ) by the authorities ( ).
The rally ( ) reflected the tortured ( ) public conversation over how to confront ( ) a rise in reports of violence against Asian-Americans, who have felt increasingly vulnerable ( ) with each new attack. Many incidents have either not led to arrests or have not been charged as hate crimes, making it difficult to capture with reliable data the extent to which Asian-Americans are being targeted.
That frustration erupted on a national scale ( ) this week after Robert Aaron Long, a white man, was charged with fatally shooting eight people, including six women of Asian descent ( ), at spas in the Atlanta area on Tuesday night.
Other incidents that clearly seemed racially motivated have not resulted in arrests. The police are still searching for a man who called an Asian-American mother the “Chinese virus” and spat ( ) at her child in Queens last week.
In New York State, to charge ( ) such attacks as hate crimes, prosecutors would need to show that the victims were targeted because of their race.
But proving a racist motive can be particularly difficult with attacks against Asians, experts say. There is no widely recognized symbol of anti-Asian hate comparable to a noose ( ) or a swastika ( ). Historically, many Asian crime victims around the country were small-business owners who were robbed, complicating ( ) the question of motive.
Under New York State law, certain offenses can be upgraded to hate crimes, increasing the potential prison sentence ( ). As evidence, prosecutors often point to hateful verbal statements or social media posts by the defendant ( ).
In the past month alone, several assaults ( ) on Asian victims have been reported to the police, including an attack on an older woman who was pushed outside a bakery in Queens. None of the incidents has been charged as a hate crime.
In fact, the only person who has been prosecuted for an anti-Asian hate crime in New York City this year is Taiwanese. He was accused of writing anti-Chinese graffiti outside several businesses in Queens.
Wayne Ho, president of the Chinese-American Planning Council, a social services agency, said many of his Asian colleagues were verbally harassed ( ) during the pandemic but chose not to alert law enforcement because they worried the perpetrators, who were often people of color, could be mistreated ( ) by the police.
“I asked myself, do I want this person in jail?” said Alice Wong, one of Mr. Ho’s colleagues. “Just because you put someone in jail doesn’t make them not hate anyone anymore.”
Recognizing ( ) this challenge, some law enforcement officials have called for people who commit hate crimes to attend antiracism classes as an alternative ( ) to prison.
為何針對亞裔的暴力襲擊難以被控仇恨犯罪?
上月一個寒冷的晚上,一名華裔男子在曼哈頓中國城社區附近步行回家時,一個陌生人突然跑到他身後,把刀刺進他的後背。
對許多亞裔美國人來說,這起事件令人驚恐,但並不意外。人們普遍認為,這只是在疫情期間針對亞裔的種族暴力的最新例子。
但調查人員表示,行兇者是一名23歲的葉門男子,他在襲擊前沒有對受害者說過一句話。檢察官認為缺乏足夠的證據來證明種族主義動機。襲擊者被指控謀殺未遂,而不是出於仇恨犯罪。
這一聲明激怒了紐約市的亞裔美國人領袖。他們中的許多人在曼哈頓地區檢察官辦公室外抗議,要求以仇恨犯罪的罪名起訴。他們厭倦了他們眼中的種族主義攻擊被當局忽視。
這次集會反映了對於如何應對暴力侵害亞裔美國人的報導增多,公眾開始了痛苦的討論。每一次新的襲擊都讓亞裔美國人感到越來越脆弱。許多事件要不是沒有逮捕任何人,就是沒有被指控為仇恨犯罪,因此很難用可靠的數據來了解亞裔美國人在多大程度上成為攻擊目標。
在白人男子羅伯特•亞倫•朗(Robert Aaron Long)被控週二晚在亞特蘭大地區的水療中心開槍打死八人(其中包括六名亞裔女性)後,這種不滿情緒本週在全國範圍內爆發。
其他明顯帶有種族動機的事件並沒有導致逮捕。目前警方仍在搜尋一名男子,此人上週在皇后區稱一名亞裔美國母親為「中國病毒」,並向她的孩子吐口水。
在紐約州,要指控此類襲擊為仇恨犯罪,檢察官需要證明受害者是因其種族而成為攻擊目標。
但專家表示,在針對亞裔的攻擊中,證明種族主義動機可能特別困難。沒有一種被廣泛認可的反亞裔仇恨象徵可以對應套索或納粹符號。歷史上,全國各地的許多亞裔犯罪受害者都是被搶劫的小商店業者,這使得動機問題變得更加複雜。
根據紐約州的法律,某些犯罪行為可以升級為仇恨犯罪,從而增加潛在的監禁刑期。作為證據,檢察官經常指出被告充滿仇恨的口頭聲明或社群媒體發文。
僅在過去的一個月中,警方就接到了數起針對亞裔受害者的襲擊報告,其中包括在皇后區一名老年女性被推出一家麵包店。沒有任何事件被指控為仇恨犯罪。
實際上,紐約市今年因反亞裔仇恨罪被起訴的唯一一人是台灣人。他被指控在皇后區的幾家商店外塗鴉反華內容。
社會服務機構華裔美國人規劃委員會(Chinese-American Planning Council)主席韋恩•何(Wayne Ho)表示,他的許多亞裔同事在疫情大流行期間受到了口頭騷擾,但他們選擇不向執法部門報告,因為他們擔心騷擾者(通常是有色人種)可能會受到警方的虐待。
「我問自己,我想讓這個人進監獄嗎?」韋恩•何的同事愛麗絲•黃(Alice Wong)說。「把一個人關進監獄並不會讓他們不再憎恨任何人。」
認識到這一挑戰,一些執法官員呼籲犯下仇恨罪行的人參加反種族歧視課程,以替代坐牢。
#高雄人 #學習英文 #多益達人林立英文
#高中英文 #成人英文
#多益家教班 #商用英文
#國立大學英文學系講師
同時也有8部Youtube影片,追蹤數超過285萬的網紅Namewee,也在其Youtube影片中提到,We are nothing Open your eyes y'all 睜開你們的眼睛! This is a wake up call ! 聽清楚這首歌! For those ignorant people of the world 我要獻給自以為是的人類 打開報紙 又是一堆殺人放火 Anot...
「one sentence for mother」的推薦目錄:
- 關於one sentence for mother 在 多益達人 林立英文 Facebook 的最佳解答
- 關於one sentence for mother 在 Eric's English Lounge Facebook 的最佳解答
- 關於one sentence for mother 在 葉慶元律師(葉狀師) Facebook 的最讚貼文
- 關於one sentence for mother 在 Namewee Youtube 的最佳解答
- 關於one sentence for mother 在 pennyccw Youtube 的最佳解答
- 關於one sentence for mother 在 pennyccw Youtube 的最讚貼文
one sentence for mother 在 Eric's English Lounge Facebook 的最佳解答
愛情36「題」❤️
讓陌生人迅速相愛的36個問題
Time to fall in love?
★★★★★★★★★★★★
《紐約時報》報導:
曼迪·萊恩·卡特隆(Mandy Len Catron)為「現代愛情」專欄寫了一篇文章《如何快速與陌生人相愛》,她在文中提到心理學家阿瑟·亞倫(Arthur Aron)等人的研究成果:兩個陌生人之間的親密關係或許可以通過彼此詢問一些特別的個人化問題而快速升溫。這36個問題分為三組,一組比一組來得尋根究底。
這個理論的核心是,共同的脆弱能促進親近感。這項研究的作者們稱:「同伴之間發展親密關係的關鍵模式在於持續、逐步升級、相互且個人化的袒露自我。」允許自己和另一個人共享脆弱可能非常困難,下面這個練習能迫使你做到這一點。
★★★★★★★★★★★★
Set I 第一組 ❤️
1. Given the choice of anyone in the world, whom would you want as a dinner guest?
如果可以在世界上所有人中任意選擇,你想邀請誰共進晚餐?
2. Would you like to be famous? In what way?
你想成名嗎?想以什麼方式成名?
3. Before making a telephone call, do you ever rehearse what you are going to say? Why?
打電話之前你會先排練一下要說什麼嗎,為什麼?
4. What would constitute a “perfect” day for you?
對你來說,「完美」的一天是什麼樣的?
5. When did you last sing to yourself? To someone else?
你上次自己唱起歌來是在什麼時候,給別人唱呢?
6. If you were able to live to the age of 90 and retain either the mind or body of a 30-year-old for the last 60 years of your life, which would you want?
如果你能活到90歲,同時可以一直保持30歲時的心智或身體,你會選擇保持哪一種呢,心智還是身體?
7. Do you have a secret hunch about how you will die?
你是否曾經秘密地預感到自己會以怎樣的方式死去?
8. Name three things you and your partner appear to have in common.
說出三件你和你的伴侶看上去相同的特徵。
9. For what in your life do you feel most grateful?
人生中的什麼東西最令你感激?
10. If you could change anything about the way you were raised, what would it be?
如果你能改變被撫養成人過程中的一件事,會是哪一件。
11. Take four minutes and tell your partner your life story in as much detail as possible.
花四分鐘時間,儘可能詳細告訴伴侶你的人生經歷。
12. If you could wake up tomorrow having gained any one quality or ability, what would it be?
如果你明天一覺醒來就能擁有某種才能或能力,你希望那會是什麼能力呢?
★★★★★★★★★★★★
Set II 第二組 ❤️❤️
13. If a crystal ball could tell you the truth about yourself, your life, the future or anything else, what would you want to know?
如果有一個水晶球可以告訴你關於自己、人生,未來乃至任何事情的真相,你會想知道嗎?
14. Is there something that you’ve dreamed of doing for a long time? Why haven’t you done it?
有沒有什麼事是你一直夢想去做而沒有去做的,為什麼沒有做?
15. What is the greatest accomplishment of your life?
你人生中最大的成就是什麼?
16. What do you value most in a friendship?
在一段友誼之中你最珍視的是什麼?
17. What is your most treasured memory?
你最寶貴的記憶是什麼?
18. What is your most terrible memory?
你最糟糕的記憶是什麼?
19. If you knew that in one year you would die suddenly, would you change anything about the way you are now living? Why?
假如你知道自己在一年內就會突然死去,你會改變現在的生活方式嗎?為什麼?
20. What does friendship mean to you?
友誼對於你來說意味着什麼?
21. What roles do love and affection play in your life?
愛與情感在你生活中扮演着什麼樣的角色?
22. Alternate sharing something you consider a positive characteristic of your partner. Share a total of five items.
和你的伴侶輪流說出心目中對方的一個好品質,每人說五條。
23. How close and warm is your family? Do you feel your childhood was happier than most other people’s?
你的家人之間關係是否親密而溫暖,你覺得自己的童年比其他人更快樂嗎?
24. How do you feel about your relationship with your mother?
你和母親之間的關係是怎樣的?
★★★★★★★★★★★★
Set III 第三組 ❤️❤️❤️
25. Make three true “we” statements each. For instance, “We are both in this room feeling ... “
每人用「我們」造三個句子,並含有實際情況,比如「我們倆在屋子裡,感覺……」
26. Complete this sentence: “I wish I had someone with whom I could share ... “
補完這個句子:「我希望和某人在一起,分享……」
27. If you were going to become a close friend with your partner, please share what would be important for him or her to know.
如果你想和對方成為親近的朋友,請告訴對方有什麼重要的事情是他或她需要知道的。
28. Tell your partner what you like about them; be very honest this time, saying things that you might not say to someone you’ve just met.
告訴對方你喜歡他或她身上的什麼東西,要非常誠實,說些你不會對萍水之交說的東西。
29. Share with your partner an embarrassing moment in your life.
和對方分享生命中那些尷尬的時刻。
30. When did you last cry in front of another person? By yourself?
你上次在別人面前哭是什麼時候?自己哭呢?
31. Tell your partner something that you like about them already.
告訴對方,你已經喜歡上了他或她身上的什麼品質。
32. What, if anything, is too serious to be joked about?
你覺得什麼東西是嚴肅到不能開玩笑的,假如有的話。
33. If you were to die this evening with no opportunity to communicate with anyone, what would you most regret not having told someone? Why haven’t you told them yet?
如果你今晚就將死去,而且沒有機會同任何人聯絡,你會因為之前沒有對別人說什麼話而感到遺憾,你為什麼到現在都沒有對他們說這些話呢?
34. Your house, containing everything you own, catches fire. After saving your loved ones and pets, you have time to safely make a final dash to save any one item. What would it be? Why?
假設你擁有的全部東西都在你的房子里,現在房子着了火,救出家人和寵物之後,你還有機會安全地衝進去最後一次,取出最後一件東西,你會拿什麼,為什麼?
35. Of all the people in your family, whose death would you find most disturbing? Why?
你的家人中,誰去世了會令你最難過,為什麼?
36. Share a personal problem and ask your partner’s advice on how he or she might handle it. Also, ask your partner to reflect back to you how you seem to be feeling about the problem you have chosen.
說出一件你的個人問題,問對方如果遇到此事要如何解決。另外,也要讓對方如實告訴你,在他或她眼中,你對於這個問題的感受是怎樣的。
★★★★★★★★★★★★
❤️ 看完這些問題後,會想到哪一部愛情片? ❤️
Tag someone who needs these questions~
★★★★★★★★★★★★
完整報導: https://nyti.ms/3z5eep9
圖片出處: https://bit.ly/3uYjIie
TED影片: https://bit.ly/3cn9jWC
one sentence for mother 在 葉慶元律師(葉狀師) Facebook 的最讚貼文
#美國總統大選做票_抓到了!
美國總統大選果然有舞弊!美國賓州一名男子,假借其亡母的名義投票,被判刑五年!
等等!瞎密!他是投給川普??(叭叭叭)
---
A Pennsylvania man has been sentenced to five years of probation after pleading guilty to casting a vote in the name of his deceased mother in an effort to reelect then-President Donald Trump, according to court records and Delaware County District Attorney Jack Stollsteimer's office.
Bruce Bartman, 70, received the sentence Friday after entering a guilty plea to two counts of perjury and one count of unlawful voting. Bartman will also lose his right to vote for four years, pursuant to Pennsylvania statute, the district attorney's office said in a news release.
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/03/politics/pennsylvania-probation-illegal-ballot-trump-2020/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_source=fbCNN&utm_content=2021-05-04T03%3A28%3A05&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR3-Eqc2d0kxpy4ONOKfFf5LRpBd2osUQPkRd-S5LzyzXHjPQdKHolWndug
one sentence for mother 在 Namewee Youtube 的最佳解答
We are nothing
Open your eyes y'all
睜開你們的眼睛!
This is a wake up call !
聽清楚這首歌!
For those ignorant people of the world
我要獻給自以為是的人類
打開報紙 又是一堆殺人放火
Another tragedy headlining the news today
又是吵架 面紅耳赤你爭我奪
People fighting each other to get ahead
又是政客 在胡言亂語show off (Diam lah!)
People playing politics to misleading the people (Shut up!)
又是明星 在絞盡腦汁炒作 (Oh please loh!)
Celebrities making up gossips for fame (Oh come on!)
每個人 都想展現自己與眾不同
Everyone thinking they deserve to be special
誘惑太多 榮華富貴怎樣 都不夠
Lustful thoughts out to get you at every turn
來繼續墮落 快來繼續賣弄
Keep showing off your material wealth
你還有什麼 你還想證明什麼
So what else do you wanna prove here?
你說你 能征服所有一切 當你擁有一切
You keep asking for more in life
你卻從不自覺
But do not know when to stop
你說你 能面對所有困難 所有的困難
You said you can face all the hardship
都是過眼雲煙
Easy come easy go
你說人定勝天 水來土淹
You think mankind can overcome nature
如果天 塌下來你會把它當棉被
No trouble is too much trouble
哈哈 有一天 可能就在今夜
But when the boogeyman comes knocking
山崩地裂 你也只能躲在棉被
Times up and there will be nowhere else to hide
We're nothing at all We've got nothing at all
我們一無是處 我們一無所有
When you're trying hardto be king of the world
但我們卻貪得無厭 自以為是
We're nothing at all We've got nothing at all
我們一無是處 我們一無所有
Can't you seethat we're only hurting this world?
卻不斷的傷害這個世界
劫 是逃不過的劫 是老天在發洩
Our path leading to a dead end we cannot escape
還是大地在埋怨
Our destiny written long before we set foot on earth
埋怨人類做的一切 是時候做個了結
Karma awaits and time to face the music
它一步一步 來摧毀一處一處
One by one we suffer the same fate
你只能痛哭 只能痛苦
You can only cry out loud
只能對著屍體 來表現你的無助
Staring at the lifeless body of your love ones
你的車 你的名牌 你的錢 你的房子
All your materialistic belongings
會在災難中化為一片泥土
Turning into waste when disaster come claiming
流著淚 望著天 等著判決
We wait for our sentence on judgment day
排著隊 等著灰飛煙滅
The door at hell's gate soon opens
世界末日會在明天? 還是明天後的明天?
Will the world finally ends tomorrow or the day after tomorrow?
閉上眼 睜開眼 剎那之間
In the blink of an eye
一瞬間 變成了 一萬年
The clock could turn back a million years
廢墟中找尋不到 記憶裡幸福的家園
Happiness no longer exist in what we used to call home
We're nothing at all We've got nothing at all
我們一無是處 我們一無所有
When you're trying hardto be king of the world
但我們卻貪得無厭 自以為是
We're nothing at all We've got nothing at all
我們一無是處 我們一無所有
Can't you seethat we're only hurting this world?
卻不斷的傷害這個世界
Can I catch my breath Before I say 'i love you'
在說愛你之前 我能不能夠吸一口氣?
Can we kiss again under the poison rainfall?
不如在"毒雨"下 來個浪漫的擁吻?
Can I hold you tight Until tomorrow?
睡覺的時候 讓我一直抱著你到明天?
Or tomorrow ...There'll never be tomorrow ...
但是明天... 或許已經沒有明天了...
看見災難很驚世 它有什麼樣的警示
So what have we learned from the misfortunes of others
還是 你只是看看電視 不關你的事
Or it's good entertainment cos it's not in your backyard
繼續放肆 繼續無恥 做你以為對的事
So continue living your own irresponsible and ignorant life
犯了一生的罪 沾了一身的穢 然後再濫用宗教信仰脫罪
Feed your guilty conscience by abusing your god's forgiveness
天蓋之下 地載之上 一群無知的人類
Between heaven and earth lies a lost species
以為出類拔萃 都在自我陶醉
Thinking that this can last forever but they're wrong
We're nothing at all We've got nothing at all
我們一無是處 我們一無所有
When you're trying hardto be king of the world
但我們卻貪得無厭 自以為是
We're nothing at all We've got nothing at all
我們一無是處 我們一無所有
Can't you seethat we're only hurting this world?
卻不斷的傷害這個世界
-
數位音樂下載 Online Music Download【四大皆空 We are Nothing】:https://lnk.to/fTV3uL63
-
欲網購黃明志最新實體專輯《亞洲通才》及歷年專輯和周邊商品請到。Purchase Namewee Latest 《Asian Polymath》 , Others Music Albums & Merchandises Please log in to https://namewee4896.com/
Namewee 黃明志 Official Facebook Fan Page:
https://www.facebook.com/namewee/
Namewee YouTube Channel Link:
http://www.youtube.com/namewee/
#Namewee #黃明志 #四大皆空
one sentence for mother 在 pennyccw Youtube 的最佳解答
For those who were there at McDonough Gymnasium on August 4, 1994, few will forget the arrival of a 6-0 freshman guard who needed no introduction. The rumors of Allen Iverson's arrival to the Kenner Summer League were true, and by game's end, Iverson had scored 40 points. By the Sunday afternoon final, before an overflow crowd inside the gym and a crowd of those outside who could not get in, Iverson finished a combined 99 point effort in three days against some of the best collegiate talent in the city. This, of course, from a player that had not played organized basketball in over a year. The Allen Iverson years had begun. A brief profile can't do justice to tell the story of one of the greatest pure athletes ever to attend Georgetown, a man without peer in his talent over two years at the collegiate level. Just a year before his Kenner debut, few would have imagined Allen Iverson ever playing college basketball. Iverson was not only a 31 point a game guard for Bethel HS, but a football player of tremendous skill. As a quarterback and defensive back his sophomore season, he produced nearly 1,600 yards offense and 13 INT's. By his junior year, he accounted for 2,204 yards, 21 touchdowns by rush or interception, and 14 touchdown passes. In a region which has produced NFL quarterbacks such as Michael Vick and Aaron Brooks, there are those who will still say "Bubbachuck" Iverson was better than both of them. Schools such as Arkansas, Kentucky, Duke, and three dozen other top programs across two sports were vying for perhaps the greatest two-sport star the Tidewater had ever produced. When he led Bethel to the state title, someone asked what it was like to win the title. "I'm going to get one in basketball now," which he did. In late February, 1993, en route to the state title he had promised, Iverson was one of a large group of Bethel teammates at a Hampton bowling alley when a fight broke out between students from rival schools trading racial insults. Three people were hurt in the aftermath. Despite conflicting testimony from eyewitnesses and no clear evidence linking him to the crime, Iverson was one of four black students arrested. Racial tensions were heightened when the prosecutors passed on a misdemeanor assault charge and charged Iverson with three counts of felony "maiming by mob", which carried a 20 year prison sentence. Despite video evidence which did not place Iverson in the crowd at the time of the fight, he was convicted in a racially charged case. The 20 year sentence was later reduced to five, and Iverson was granted clemency by Gov. Douglas Wilder three months later, sending Iverson to a detention program at an alternative high school. (The original charges were thrown out by the Virginia court of appeals in 1995.) In the spring of 1994, with Iverson still in detention, his mother approached John Thompson with a plea to help her son get to college and start a new chapter of his life. Though Thompson had passed on a number of troubled players in the past, he offered Iverson a scholarship in April of that season, contingent upon his completion of high school and his legal release, which was granted 48 hours before his Kenner debut. By his debut in a Georgetown uniform in November 1994, Iverson had been the subject of intense national media attention. In the Hoyas' annual exhibition with Fort Hood, Iverson scored 36 points, five assists, and three steals in 23 minutes. Local columnists were in awe. "Hang his number up in the rafters," wrote Tom Knott of the Washington Times. "He's better than most of the point guards in the NBA right now." Allen Iverson Kobe Bryant Tracy Mcgrady Vince Carter Dwyane Wade Shaq Jermaine O'Neal Gilbert Arenas Tim Duncan Kevin Garnett Yao Ming Chris Bosh Steve Nash Lebron James Carmelo Anthony Chris Webber Dennis Rodman Steve Francis Stephon Marbury Shawn Marion Amare Stoudemire Michael Jordan Scottie Pippen Charles Barkley Larry Bird Magic Johnson Karl Malone John Stockton Boston Celtics New Jersey Nets New York Knicks Philadelphia 76ers Toronto Raptors Chicago Bulls Cleveland Cavaliers Detroit Pistons Indiana Pacers Milwaukee Bucks Atlanta Hawks Charlotte Bobcats Miami Heat Orlando Magic Washington Wizards Dallas Mavericks Houston Rockets Memphis Grizzlies NO/Okla. City Hornets San Antonio Spurs Denver Nuggets Minnesota Timberwolves Portland Trail Blazers Seattle SuperSonics Utah Jazz Golden State Warriors Los Angeles Clippers Los Angeles Lakers Phoenix Suns Sacramento Kings
one sentence for mother 在 pennyccw Youtube 的最讚貼文
For those who were there at McDonough Gymnasium on August 4, 1994, few will forget the arrival of a 6-0 freshman guard who needed no introduction. The rumors of Allen Iverson's arrival to the Kenner Summer League were true, and by game's end, Iverson had scored 40 points. By the Sunday afternoon final, before an overflow crowd inside the gym and a crowd of those outside who could not get in, Iverson finished a combined 99 point effort in three days against some of the best collegiate talent in the city. This, of course, from a player that had not played organized basketball in over a year. The Allen Iverson years had begun. A brief profile can't do justice to tell the story of one of the greatest pure athletes ever to attend Georgetown, a man without peer in his talent over two years at the collegiate level. Just a year before his Kenner debut, few would have imagined Allen Iverson ever playing college basketball. Iverson was not only a 31 point a game guard for Bethel HS, but a football player of tremendous skill. As a quarterback and defensive back his sophomore season, he produced nearly 1,600 yards offense and 13 INT's. By his junior year, he accounted for 2,204 yards, 21 touchdowns by rush or interception, and 14 touchdown passes. In a region which has produced NFL quarterbacks such as Michael Vick and Aaron Brooks, there are those who will still say "Bubbachuck" Iverson was better than both of them. Schools such as Arkansas, Kentucky, Duke, and three dozen other top programs across two sports were vying for perhaps the greatest two-sport star the Tidewater had ever produced. When he led Bethel to the state title, someone asked what it was like to win the title. "I'm going to get one in basketball now," which he did. In late February, 1993, en route to the state title he had promised, Iverson was one of a large group of Bethel teammates at a Hampton bowling alley when a fight broke out between students from rival schools trading racial insults. Three people were hurt in the aftermath. Despite conflicting testimony from eyewitnesses and no clear evidence linking him to the crime, Iverson was one of four black students arrested. Racial tensions were heightened when the prosecutors passed on a misdemeanor assault charge and charged Iverson with three counts of felony "maiming by mob", which carried a 20 year prison sentence. Despite video evidence which did not place Iverson in the crowd at the time of the fight, he was convicted in a racially charged case. The 20 year sentence was later reduced to five, and Iverson was granted clemency by Gov. Douglas Wilder three months later, sending Iverson to a detention program at an alternative high school. (The original charges were thrown out by the Virginia court of appeals in 1995.) In the spring of 1994, with Iverson still in detention, his mother approached John Thompson with a plea to help her son get to college and start a new chapter of his life. Though Thompson had passed on a number of troubled players in the past, he offered Iverson a scholarship in April of that season, contingent upon his completion of high school and his legal release, which was granted 48 hours before his Kenner debut. By his debut in a Georgetown uniform in November 1994, Iverson had been the subject of intense national media attention. In the Hoyas' annual exhibition with Fort Hood, Iverson scored 36 points, five assists, and three steals in 23 minutes. Local columnists were in awe. "Hang his number up in the rafters," wrote Tom Knott of the Washington Times. "He's better than most of the point guards in the NBA right now." Allen Iverson Kobe Bryant Tracy Mcgrady Vince Carter Dwyane Wade Shaq Jermaine O'Neal Gilbert Arenas Tim Duncan Kevin Garnett Yao Ming Chris Bosh Steve Nash Lebron James Carmelo Anthony Chris Webber Dennis Rodman Steve Francis Stephon Marbury Shawn Marion Amare Stoudemire Michael Jordan Scottie Pippen Charles Barkley Larry Bird Magic Johnson Karl Malone John Stockton Boston Celtics New Jersey Nets New York Knicks Philadelphia 76ers Toronto Raptors Chicago Bulls Cleveland Cavaliers Detroit Pistons Indiana Pacers Milwaukee Bucks Atlanta Hawks Charlotte Bobcats Miami Heat Orlando Magic Washington Wizards Dallas Mavericks Houston Rockets Memphis Grizzlies NO/Okla. City Hornets San Antonio Spurs Denver Nuggets Minnesota Timberwolves Portland Trail Blazers Seattle SuperSonics Utah Jazz Golden State Warriors Los Angeles Clippers Los Angeles Lakers Phoenix Suns Sacramento Kings